POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural Clouds : Re: Procedural Clouds Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Procedural Clouds
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Date: 24 Mar 2001 10:35:28
Message: <3abcbec0$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Warp

Sorry to differ

>   My experiences show that media (method 3) is faster than using stacked
> planes.
>   Media (method 3) is optimized, so no too many samples are taken. With
> a stack of planes povray always have to calculate rays through all the
> planes, no matter if the resulting color is inexistent.

but in my experience method 3 (as with 1&2)leaves artifacts that sometimes
spoil the look of the clouds, to remove these it is necessary to bump up
intervals and samples which makes the rendering very slow.

Sorry but in my experience planes, especially if you use boxes instead of
planes and and scale them so they are non-infinate objects are faster.

Mick